Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Witch Who Came From The Sea (1976)

4 / 5 Oct '09
Tagline: Molly really knows how to cut men down to size!!
Directed by: Matt Cimber
Written by: Robert Thom
Actors include: Millie Perkins, Lonny Chapman, Vanessa Brown
Genre: Horror, Drama, Thriller
Length: 88 minutes
Banned: Was, isn't now
Country: USA

Review:
Well I've read about this film a fair bit, seeing as how it was once rated X and considered a video nasty. From reading about it I don't think I actually had a clue what to expect and anything I thought I knew was wrong. This isn't a vile disgusting horror picture, it's a depressingly surreal tale of child abuse. It's very '70s, some of the dialog and such will probably have you laughing and the acting isn't superb (though at times it's quite something). This made me feel as though I were in the twilight zone, it's really absurd in many different ways. Our lead character was well very abused as a child (it even says so on the back of the dvd case) by her father who was a Sea Captain. She definitely seems mentally stunted to the point where she's a little girl and refuses to admit anything bad has happened. As an adult now she has a drinking and substance problem and seems to have delusions about the television and castrating men. The only thing is, is it real or is she losing her sanity? It's not as graphic as one might think though the scenes of abuse are quite disturbing. This is something that wasn't exactly fun to watch but I was engrossed in the story none the less. One of the stranger video nasties indeed, and one I thought actually had a point (albeit a warped one).

Availability:  On DVD (but OOP)


No comments:

Post a Comment