Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The War Of The Worlds (1953)

4.5 / 5 Dec '09
Tagline: Amazing! terrifying! The most savage spectacle of all time!
Directed by: Byron Hasking
Written by: H.G. Wells, Barré Lyndon
Actors include: Gene Barry, Ann Robinson, Les Tremayne
Genre: Science Fiction, Horror
Length: 84 minutes
Banned: Nope




Review:
This was one heck of an exciting alien invasion flick. The effects were actually amazing especially when one considers this was 1953! It's no wonder they won an Oscar for the effects work. From the city being destroyed to the actual aliens, it's all really effective and exciting. The idea is that an alien ship has landed (they look sorta like swans), and people are trying to greet them in peace...the only trouble is these aliens aren't exactly friendly. It's a non-stop fast paced destructive masterpiece, stuff being blown up and action galore! I was actually surprised this was in color (as I'd always assumed it was black and white) but it's very vivid, the actors do a good job in this and it's full of tension and thrills. I've never seen the remake but I probably would after this, definitely one of the best science fiction films I've seen.

Availability:  On DVD

1 comment:

  1. I have this on DVD as well and I think it's a great film. I have ssen the remake and it does not compare.

    ReplyDelete