Monday, September 13, 2010

Going To Pieces: The Rise & Fall Of The Slasher Film (2006)

3 / 5 Sept '10
Tagline: N/A
Directed by: N/A
Written by: J. Albert Bell, Rachel Belofsky
Actors include: Ed Green, Malek Akkad, Lilyan Chauvin
Genre: Horror, Documentary
Length: 88 minutes
Banned: Nope




Review:
Well, I didn't expect a heck of a lot out of this going into it, I mean I've studied slasher films and seen many of them so I didn't think I would learn much. I was right unfortunately, but it was nice that they had interviews with many of the folks associated with slashers like Sean S. Cunningham, Wes Craven, Tom Savini (the most interesting of the lot) and several others. It does touch upon most of the biggies and it will include clips that will ruin the films for you if you haven't seen them already. Lucky for me only a small few of them that the even put up posters or anything for. The even briefly mention Italian films being an influence but it needed more detail I felt, also mentioning some of the earlier splatter films, particularly those of Herschell Gordon Lewis would have been worthwhile but they weren't touched upon at all. Also going into the later bits with Rob Zombie I didn't care for either but well I think he's a useless hack but I think that is just me, also all the mention of Scream as a savior of the genre to be rather nauseating too.I'm sure this would have been a nice bonus feature for a disc or something but considering I think this was sold separately as well I wouldn't really think it was worthwhile. You'll either have seen everything mentioned, or won't have in which case you'll wish you had so that many good plot points weren't ruined for you.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment