Monday, August 23, 2010

The Addiction (1995)

3 / 5 Aug '10
Tagline: The dark is their sunlight. What makes them different is what keeps them alive.
Directed by: Abel Ferrara
Written by: Nicholas St. John
Actors include: Lili Taylor, Edie Falco, Christopher Walken
Genre: Horror, Drama
Length: 80 minutes
Banned: Nope




Review:
I really expected something different here, heck I usually like Abel Ferrara films and I love the cast members but this didn't work for me. Why? Because I'm not into philosophy and it really seemed like it was trying to cram it out of every orifice. The plot is about a timid young student called Kathleen (Lili Taylor) who is bitten by a vampire. She then goes through heroin like symptoms craving blood and letting herself and her morals deteriorate taking down everyone around her. It's filmed in black and white rather nicely and it feels gritty, I'll give it that. Also they did a pretty cool vampire party sequence that offered up the much needed horror as most of this is a drama of sorts. I didn't absolutely hate it but I felt it was being pretentious and although the concept was intriguing the execution was too dry and dull. Not my kind of movie but it will definitely appeal to some, and I suppose credit for making an intellectual vampire movie.

Availability:  Not on DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment