Monday, August 2, 2010

eXistenZ (1999)

2.5 / 5 Aug '10
Tagline: Play it. Live it. Kill for it.
Directed by: David Cronenberg
Written by: David Cronenberg
Actors include: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jude Law, Ian Holm
Genre: Sci-Fi
Length: 97 minutes
Banned: Nope





Review:
Well I like David Cronenberg films, and I like Jennifer Jason Leigh as an actress so combining the two should be excellent right? Well the answer is yes for most people but I actually hated this. I found myself rolling my eyes through most of it and laughing at the technology and imagined advancements for the future. Leigh plays Allegra Gellar, a person who takes part in a new game along with a test group of others. Of course the line is blurred between reality and the game, and it's seemingly dangerous. There are also little reptile creatures with multiple heads everywhere and strange little computer animated effects that were silly. I guess this idea is fine, but the execution was sheerly silly, but perhaps it's because this is now 2010 and the technology from the '90s is a bit behind? I think it's more than that, I just never really got into this and I kept looking at the time because I really wanted it to be over. Take someone else's opinion because I think giving it 2.5 stars is generous but I think I'm in the minority here.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment