Thursday, December 3, 2009

Schramm (1993) aka Schramm: Into the Mind of a Serial Killer

4 / 5 Dec '09
Tagline: ...today I am dirty, but tomorrow I'll be just dirt.
Directed by: Jörg Buttgereit
Written by: Jörg Buttgereit, Franz Rodenkirchen
Actors include: Florian Koerner von Gustorf, Monika M., Micha Brendel
Genre: Horror, Romance, Thriller
Length: 65 minutes
Banned: Finland, Singapore




Review:
This is an odd one...I'm not even sure who this was aimed at. It's part German art film, part goreophile's dream, part gross-out and part romantic drama (I kid you not). I was definitely intrigued and it held my attention, it just didn't come together as cleanly as I would have liked. As it goes we are watching our "Lipstick Killer" dying in a pool of paint and blood as we get hazy and fragmented memories that we are to piece together from his life. The thing is, there is symbolism, suggestion, hallucinations (I think) and all sorts of stuff to confuse someone trying to make sense of it though I'm sure that's the point. The acting was very good and believable and it does have a certain harshness that makes it uncomfortable. Our killer had a relationship with a Hooker, he had a meeting with religious folks, and a bizarre Denist meeting that I just can't begin to understand. Still there is something intriguing and memorable about this and it is quite unlike most. I should also mention that the whole thing wraps up in about 65 minutes so it's not much commitment. I do kinda wish they had added another twenty minutes to it to explain a couple of things or give us some more background info but well it is what it is. This will be something that some will definitely want to see but others will hate it.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment