Sunday, March 21, 2010

Funeral Home (1980) aka Cries In The Night

3 / 5 Mar '10
Tagline: It'll have you screaming for morning!
Directed by: William Fruet
Written by: Ida Nelson
Actors include: Kay Hawtrey, Lesleh Donaldson, Barry Morse
Genre: Horror
Length: 93 minutes
Banned: Nope




Review:
There isn't anything here that you haven't seen before, but the serious way they play this story makes it somewhat worthwhile. The tale is about a girl who goes to her Grandmother's house to help her change it from a funeral home to a bed and breakfast (you can see where this is going right?). As soon as they are ready to open the guests start disappearing, but why? It's a bit of a mystery and there are several red herrings but it becomes rather clear very quickly what's going on. It's not very satisfying on a gore level, it's not very frightening and although it's watchable it's not filmed the nicest (though maybe it was my cheap DVD version that made me say that). I think also knowing that William Fruet directed this made it a little bit more disappointing because I really loved his film Death Weekend which I do definitely recommend. This isn't one of the worst slashers of the '80s but it's pretty average really, this often gets mentioned as one of the underrated gems of the time but I'm afraid I feel it's rather forgettable.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment