Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Monster Squad (1987)

4 / 5 Oct '10
Tagline: Call them for a monster-ous good time.
Directed by: Fred Dekker
Written by: Shane Black, Fred Dekker
Actors include: Andre Gower, Robby Kiger, Stephen Macht
Genre: Horror, Comedy, Kids
Length: 82 minutes
Banned: Nope




Review:
Although I've never seen this as a child (I wish I had but somehow I knew nothing about this movie until Jon introduced it to me) I really did enjoy this. It does bear some similarities to The Goonies, I liked this quite a bit better but perhaps that's because it's horror themed. The story is about a group of youngsters who call themselves the Monster Squad. Their specialty is (you guessed it) monster knowledge and they meet in a little club house and so forth. When their favorite monsters come to life they must do something, but what? It's very entertaining and to the point plus Stan Winston's effects are quite impressive (especially with the Creature from the Black Lagoon). The little nods to the original Universal monster pictures were what made this one seem extra special. Really a very adorable film that children should love and so should adults, great idea for a Halloween film.

Availability:  On DVD & Blu-Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment