Thursday, October 14, 2010

The House Of The Devil (2009)

4 / 5 Oct '10
Tagline: Talk on the Phone. Finish Your Homework. Watch TV. Die.
Directed by: Ti West
Written by: Ti West
Actors include: Jocelin Donahue, Mary Wuornov, Tom Noonan
Genre: Horror
Length: 95 minutes
Banned: Nope




Review:
Finally a newer movie for those of us who don't like newer movies, I thought this was a lot of fun. It's set in 1982 (and they beat us over the head with this though it's fun to watch), but the plot is similar to several films of the late '70s (which I love). The story is about a young woman who is in need of moula, so she answers an add for a babysitter. Right from the start things don't seem quite right, and well let's just say that things get more and more doomy from there. I really liked that the folks who put the ad out were played by Mary Woronov and Tom Noonan both of whom are a lot of fun to watch. Now the story sort of builds and builds without a heck of a lot happening for the first bit, but I think it's creating atmosphere and dread. If you are just out for a gore film, this does have some but it's more of a story based film, which I appreciated. This may not be for everyone, but I thought it was a heck of a lot of fun, and well made to boot. Definitely one of the best horror films of the decade, I hope this new vintage trend continues, I'm sold!

Availability:  On DVD & Blu-Ray

1 comment:

  1. I had alot of fun with this one. Director Ti West really taps into the whole late 70's/early 80's vibe with the sets and music. Agreed on the new vintage trend thing. Oddly enough, it came out the same year Black Dynamite did.

    ReplyDelete