Monday, August 17, 2009

Night Warning (1983) aka Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker aka Momma's Boy aka Nightmare Maker aka The Evil Protege aka Thrilled to Death

4.5 / 5 Aug '09
Tagline: She was lonely. He was all she had. No-one would take him from her - and live...
Directed by: William Asher
Written by: Stephen F. Breimer, Boon Collins
Actors include: Jimmy McNichol, Susan Tyrrell, Bo Svenson
Genre: Horror
Length: 96 minutes
Banned: Iceland
Country: USA

Review:
Fantastic video nasty, I mean this one was pretty much awesome right away as the movie starts out with one of the best car crashes I've ever seen. Then we flash ahead to many years later, the couple who died in the crash had a son and we catch up with his life. He's living with his really odd Aunt who seems to like him an awful lot, she doesn't even want him to leave for college! The kid seems to be going through some struggles, as a star athlete his coach was found out to be a homosexual so everyone is accusing him of being gay...even the cops! Why are the cops involved? Well his psycho aunt "accidentally" killed a television repair man and he somewhat witnessed the accident. This film has a great sense of humor and just when you hope something bad will happen it will...it's so rewarding! Susan Tyrell gives one of the best performances of a looney that I've ever seen...seriously over-the-top awesome in every way. As far as blood and guts go, it's got some but I wouldn't say it's maybe as violent as some of the other video nasties, subject matter however is well a bit shocking. This is great as a movie, only the limp ending makes this a little less fantastic, but this is a must see for sure.

Availability:  Never on DVD as far as I understand

2 comments:

  1. I saw every slasher film from this era, and I remember the title and cast, but everything else is a blank. Matter of fact, I can't remember if I knew you had this blog! Thanks for bringing this flick up again so I can add it to my VNW (video nasty wishlist).

    SkinnyRobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks, glad I could help! I love finding lost awesomeness that I've forgotten about. This one I'd read about many years ago but only when building the list did I remember to watch it!

    ReplyDelete