Monday, August 3, 2009

Street Law (1974) aka Il Cittadino Si Ribella aka The Anonymous Avenger aka The Citizen Rebels aka Vigilante II

 3 / 5 Aug '09
Tagline: He's Back Blasting Death and Destruction
Directed by: Enzo G. Castellari
Written by: Massimo De Rita, Arduino Maiuri
Actors include: Franco Nero, Giancarlo Prete, Barbara Bach
Genre: Crime, Action, Thriller
Length: 105 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: Italy

Review:
I was pretty excited to see this actually as I like Franco Nero though I haven't seen a ton of his films, and I love Death Wish, the film this was clearly aping. It's the Italian version so I expected more violence, more well...everything but instead I found this to be heavily lacking. While Charles Bronson is perfection as the wronged man taking revenge, Nero doesn't seem all that wronged. He doesn't seem very upset and his motivations are nearly unclear...the film felt very much like going through the motions. Nero plays Carlos, an engineer who happens to get held up in a bank robbery and they take him as a hostage where his is beaten. Of course the Coppers aren't any help so he goes on a vendetta to shoot stuff. Nobody seems like they care that they are in the film, and heck the plot is so lazy I'm not even sure the director wanted to be there. I'm all for senseless violence, but it should at least be entertaining whereas this had me staring at the clock an awful lot.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment