Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dead Of Night (1945)

3 / 5
Tagline: N/A
Directed by: Alberto Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton
Written by: H.G. Wells, E.F. Benson
Actors include: Mervyn Johns, Roland Culver, Mary Merrall
Genre: Horror
Length: 102 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: UK

Review:
Well I've heard this is one of the best horror films of all time so of course I wanted to see it. Unfortunately I found it to be rather boring most of the time with the exception of the last tale which was pretty fun. The premise is that an architect is summoned to a client's house and he feels he's been there before in his dream. The people seem familiar and he can even predict what they are going to do. Then each of the people there go into their little tale of terror. One person tells of a mirror that looks different when you look into it (woo wee), another is the exciting ventriloquist story that is actually quite awesome. There are also tales of a mysterious golfer (yawn), another is of a mysterious guest a christmas party (another yawn) and lastly the Hearse driver story which is alright. I do understand that it was one of the first horror anthologies and for the time I imagine it was somewhat shocking, but it truly does not hold up today. I still commend it for inspiring Amicus and Hammer and other film studios, and also the basis for most of these stories have been reworked into more interesting tales which is also commendable. I guess I just walked away feeling like it had glimmers of greatness but overall it's rather non-engaging unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment