Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Burnt Offerings (1976)

3 / 5
Tagline: Up the ancient stairs, behind the locked door, something lives, something evil, from which no one has ever returned.
Directed by: Dan Curtis
Written by: Robert Marasco, William F. Nolan, Dan Curtis
Actors include: Karen Black, Oliver Reed, Burgess Meredith Genre: Horror, Mystery
Length: 116 minute
Banned: Nope
Country: USA

Review:
Firstly I'm usually a big fan of '70s horror, and heck having Karen Black, Bette Davis and Oliver Reed in this film made it all the more tempting. Perhaps it's just that I've recently seen some similar films or something but they definitely underused Davis, and the film was relatively boring most of the time. Very little happened, but I guess that is the way with this sort of gothic house horror stuff. The plot is that a young couple finds a place to rent that is ridiculously huge and strangely inexpensive. The only catch they are warned is that they have to look after "Mother". Well without giving away the plot, the wife starts to act strangely and it goes on from there (I can't spoil it even though it's not very exciting). I guess the ending was alright, but the moments of horror are so incredibly few and far between that I really did have to force myself to get to the end. If you are really patient then you may want this one, but I think you can do better!

No comments:

Post a Comment