Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Candyman (1992)

3.5 / 5
Tagline: We dare you to say his name five times!
Directed by: Bernard Rose
Written by: Clive Barker, Bernard Rose
Actors include: Virginia Madsen, Tony Todd, Xander Berkeley
Genre: Horror, Drama
Length: 99 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: USA

Review:
We explore yet another myth here with Candyman (aka say the name five times in a mirror and a murderer will appear) which I think I've heard only with "Bloody Mary" being the name. Anyhow, we have a student writing a paper on Candyman so she goes to investigate and finds the townspeople less than co-operative. She ignores warnings to stay away to disastrous result. Actually the ending sequence is pretty weak, and the story does drag a bit, but it's still a relatively easy to watch spin on an old tale. It only gets a little tense in places, and I guess they do try to offer some blood but it all seems pretty grade school really. It at least had me go to the mirror after and repeat "Candyman" five times...nothing happened yet by the way. I guess I just don't think this is as great as other have told me that it is, yet it's still entirely serviceable.

No comments:

Post a Comment