Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Carrie (1976)

4.5 / 5
Tagline: Take Carrie to the prom. I dare you!
Directed by: Brian De Palma
Written by: Lawrence D. Cohen, Stephen King
Actors include: Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving
Genre: Horror
Length: 98 minutes
Banned: Finland
Country: USA

Review:
If I had a dollar for every time I read this book as a young girl, I'd be rich (for a ten year old). The movie got most of it right, except the appearance of Carrie. I don't see how Sissy Spacek is supposed to be a chubby mousy girl with pimples and dark hair...but I digress. The acting is awesome, really even though the characters don't perfectly fit the book they sure have mastered the characters. I should go on about the story huh, Carrie has telekinesis (she can move things with her mind), and a religious zealot freak of a Mother. Mumsy does all she can to make Carrie abnormal, and as a result Carrie is unpopular. Enter hunk Tommy who as a favor to his girlfriend asks her to the prom, and when things turn out to be a joke, things get messy. I love revenge flicks, this one being no exception. Definitely a classic, but I do recommend reading the book first if you can! This has action, horror, and even some fun surprises plus you get to see plenty of stars before they were stars. This is really a fantastic horror effort even if it's not quite as good as the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment