Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cape Fear (1991)

 3.5 / 5
Tagline: There is nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light. Except fear.
Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Written by: John D. MacDonald, James R. Webb, Wesley Strick
Actors include: Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte, Juliette Lewis
Genre: Thriller, Crime, Horror
Length: 128 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: USA

Review:
I actually did get around to seeing the original Cape Fear and for some reason my memory led me to believe this remake was better. When I tested this theory unfortunately I found out I was quite wrong. The treatment of this story feels very '90s and is nearly laughable at times unfortunately. They did cut out a bunch of the squareness the first film had but they didn't replace it with excitement for the most part and they stretched it out to be way longer than it needed to be. The story still remains basically the same. We meet a lawyer named Sam who has a wife and a daughter. As a public defender he did a lousy job of defending a client named Max who was accused of attacking a teenage girl. When he gets out of jail he comes after Sam and his family on his boat. From there we get to watch them try to trap Max, but will they survive? If you like the story you may want to see this updated take, but considering the concept is so good neither really impressed me a ton unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment