Monday, May 25, 2009

It Happened At Nightmare Inn (1973) aka Una Vela Para El Diablo aka Nightmare Inn aka A Candle For The Devil aka Nightmare Hotel

3.5 / 5 May '09
Tagline: N/A
Directed by: Eugenio Martin
Written by: Antonio Fos, Eugenio Martin
Actors include: Judy Geeson, Aurora Bautista, Esperanza Roy
Genre: Horror
Length: 90 minutes? My version was 67 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: Spain

Review:
This was one odd situation as I bought the DVD titled "It Happened At Nightmare Inn" which advertised as being 120 minutes, I looked it up on IMDB which listed it as either being 90 minutes or 83. Then I actually learned my copy was a mere 67 minutes long! (lies on the back of the DVD case are evil). Anyhow somehow even though from what I understand a gigantic naked subplot is entirely omitted from what I saw I still liked it. It's kind of a creepy "Hostel" style situation where some sisters running an inn care very much about the decency of their guests. The dialog is hilarious, one sister is evil and refers to everyone as whores and the like (it's actually really entertaining) and she even seems evil whereas the other sister is more passive. Girls come and go in the Inn but when they find out through gossip that a girl who arrived with a baby doesn't know who the father is...look out! It's got some blood and stuff but I wouldn't mark this as a gory flick, just a really cute evil little warning about behaving decently. I truly do wonder what I missed and would love to find an unedited version. Still even drastically reduced I liked it and would recommend it, it's a rather charming little flick!

Availability:  On DVD but only in a severely cut version that I do not recommend purchasing

No comments:

Post a Comment