Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Videodrome (1983) aka Zonekiller

4.5 / 5

Tagline: First it controlled her mind, then it destroyed her body...Long live the new flesh!
Directed By: David Cronenberg
Written By: David Cronenberg
Actors Include: James Woods, Sonja Smits, Deborah Harry
Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Mystery
Length: 89 minutes
Banned: nope
Country: Canada

Review:
When I saw this the first time I was much younger and wasn't paying much attention to it and as a result I didn't really get it. This time around it was smooth sailing and boy am I glad I watched it again attentively. This is no doubt a bizarre and surreal tale and it's almost alarmist about the future of technology. There aren't really any other films like this one, but make sure you pay attention and are willing to let it blow your mind. We have a guy named Max who seems to be right into the violent sexual videos which is a good thing because it's his job to find cheap stuff for his station. He finds this program called Videodrome which is straightforward snuff type stuff, but when he goes to investigate he gets more than he bargained for. It begins consuming him and before long he starts to uncover the disturbing truth. Deborah Harry is wonderful as Wood's weirdo girlfriend Nicki, and well Woods is well cast too. It's one of those things where the doors are left open for interpretation but really it's rather thought provoking and simply awesome. This will show you things you never thought you'd see on tv...okay I never thought I would but I'm glad I did!

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment