Thursday, May 14, 2009

Star Trek: The Original Series: Season 1 (1966)

Episode #1: "The Man Trap"
4 / 5
Directed by: Marc Daniels
Actors include: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley

I'll be honest, I've never been at all interested in anything to do with Star Trek, I always thought it looked really stupid (mind you all I had seen was bits from Generations and such). Things I've been prejudiced against before have turned out great so what the heck I gave this a try (getting a cheap blu ray set was the pusher). It was really colorful, kitchy and honestly it was interesting and not as yammery and confusing as I was afraid it might have been. This episode had a bunch of the crew members turning up dead from lack of salt with sucker marks all over their faces. Also mysteriously someone from each person's past has turned up...or have they? I liked it and I will continue to watch the show, lesson learned I guess but now I'm afraid I'm 100% nerd instead of 98%...oh well!

Episode #2: "Charlie X"
4.5 / 5
Directed by: Lawrence Dobkin
Actors include: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Grace Lee Whitney

This was my favorite episode so far (yes I know I'm only 2 in) definitely taken from the concept of the "Twilight Zone's "It's A Good Life" episode. We meet young 17 year old lad Charlie who just happens to have many powers. He can make you disappear, he can transform you and he's only growing stronger, the crew have to learn how to put Charlie in check before it's too late for everyone! Oddly it has quite a psychedelic spin including a really groovy song, quite hilarious really. It was a fun episode and I really liked the concept, recommended!

Episode #3: "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
4.5 / 5
Directed by: James Goldstone
Actors include: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Gary Lockwood

This was a similar concept to the first episode. This time the ship comes into contact with a strange atmosphere in the form of a storm which causes grief. It produces a man who's powers are continually doubling and he gets more and more powerful until they must do something to stop him! It's pretty neato and interesting definitely along the same lines as the other episodes so far but at least they have all been good to date!

Episode# 4: "The Naked Time"
4.5 / 5
Directed by: Marc Daniels
Actors include: Majel Barrett, Bruce Hyde, William Shatner

This was quite a funny episode as the crew gets infected with some sort of disease that effects how they act. They appear drunk on emotions and everyone is acting out of sorts, it's really very entertaining in an entirely different way than the previous episodes but definitely worthwhile...especially if you want to see Spock cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment