Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wrong Turn (2003)

1 / 5

Tagline: It's the last one you'll ever take.
Directed by: Rob Schmidt
Written by: Alan B. McElroy
Actors Include: Desmond Harrington, Eliza Dushku, Emmanuelle Chriqui
Genre: Horror
Length: 84 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: USA/Germany/Canada

Review:
I remember seeing a preview for this one and thinking it looked so good that I actually went to the theatre to see it. It looked like a "Hills Have Eyes" style thing, and well that part is true enough I suppose. The only difference is that this was extremely pathetic, non-frightening and even more cliche then I could have imagined. A med student meets up with a group of kids who's vehicle has broken down and they soon learn they are stranded (since both of their vehicles are destroyed in an accident). Cell phones don't work and there doesn't seem to be anything nearby for as far as they can see. Soon they find out they aren't alone when they see "mutants aka mountain men" are watching them. Of course the characters wind up running into the mountain men's homestead and things get ugly. If you are just looking for some gore effects and stuff this did try at least I suppose, but that is about the nicest thing I can say for this mess. I just felt like it was so incredibly derivative and lesser than "The Hills Have Eyes" that this felt entirely pointless. It doesn't help either that these mutants are plain silly looking either. I'm actually really surprised that some big named actors appeared in this, but at the same time there are very few horror films from the '2000s which I find tolerable, so maybe the good options simply weren't there. I will never ever watch this again and I found it to be one of the weakest films of the decade, but heck it seems like lots of other folks liked it so maybe if you liked something like "Cabin Fever" you'll like this too.

Availabilty:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment