Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Unknown (1927)

5 / 5

Tagline: N/A
Directed by: Tod Browning
Written by: Tod Browning, Waldemar Young
Actors include: Lon Chaney, Norman Kerry, Joan Crawford
Genre: Horror, Drama
Length: 63 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: USA

Review:
I think I should start off by stating that the only thing wrong with this movie is the score that has been added in afterwards, and it didn't fit as well something from when the film was made would have. Okay now that I've got that off my chest....this is one of the best movies I've ever seen!!!! It's got all the odds against it as it's really super old (1927), it's black & white, and silent...but it's completely irrelevant as I was held in rapt attention the entire duration of this film. I'm going to have a hard time describing this film without ruining it, so I'll be vague, but seriously promise you'll give this a try, I cannot believe how horrific this is! Okay well if you know Tod Browning (Freaks) he's got sort of a circus preoccupation and this film is no different. We see some circus oddities, there is a tale of murder, and disguise and revenge and well I couldn't believe what was happening...it's simply grotesquely fascinating! I adore Chaney in this film and even an extremely young and barely recognizable Joan Crawford was stunning. Few films even today pack this sort of shocking punch! All I can say is please please please watch it no matter what your misgivings might be, this is amazing!

Availability:  On DVD as part of this set

No comments:

Post a Comment