Friday, May 1, 2009

Flowers In The Attic (1987)

3 / 5
Tagline: Home sweet home is murder
Directed by: Jeffrey Bloom
Written by: V.C. Andrews, Jeffrey Bloom
Actors include: Louise Fletcher, Victoria Tennant, Kristy Swanson
Genre: Drama, Horror
Length: 93 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: USA

Review:
Firstly I adore this book to absolutely no end, I've read it over fifteen times in my youth. When I got around to watching this movie I was impressed with casting. Everyone looks exactly as I'd pictured from reading the books and they all do a good job in their roles. What's wrong is how they changed the story, I mean really changed it. What is the same is that a family is broken when their Father dies and they are broke. The only answer is to go stay with these mysterious Grandparents of their Mother's in order to win back their love and obtain their inheritance since they are loaded. The Grandfather (who is the one who is dying) doesn't know about the Grandchildren and they are forced to hide in the attic (it's all explained logically). Anyhow it turns out their Grandma is a religous and evil nut, and anyhow their stay ends up being four years of hell rather than a short stay. I don't want to ruin the story but there are tons of soap opera style twists which are awesome in the book, but it's so minimalized here and some major plot points are omitted or changed. It was really disappointing, but if you haven't read the book it won't bother you so much. Still it's a great story and I do recommend the book highly but this didn't cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment