Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Gojira (1954) aka Godzilla

4.5 / 5
Tagline: The legend begins...
Directed by: Ishiro Honda
Written by: Ishiro Honda, Shigeru Kayama
Actors include: Akira Takarada, Momoko Kochi, Akihiko Hirata
Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi
Length: 98 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: Japan

Review:
I really liked this more than I even expected to. I didn't think it was as cheesy as I'd heard, but then again this is the original subtitled version. In it's original content it's quite beautifully shot and extremely easy to follow. The monster sure is a bit hoaky looking, but the work they did with the miniatures and the mass destruction are simply fun to watch, it doesn't really matter that it doesn't look the most realistic. The plot is about of course a rare dinosaur like creature that has been crushing buildings from above and melting things with his fire breath. There is even some sympathy for the monster, and some heart and personality with the characters. It actually went where I didn't intend it to go, and I do think it was handled really effectively. All things considered I definitely feel it's a classic that has actually a more poor reputation that it deserves. Truly visually stunning and fascinating, I'll definitely be watching more in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment