Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ice Cream Man (1995)

3 / 5
Tagline: I scream, you scream, we all scream for the...
Directed by: Paul Norman
Written by: Sven Davison, David Dobkin
Actors include: Clint Howard, Justin Isfeld, Anndi McAlfee
Genre: Horror, Comedy
Length: 84 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: USA

Review:
I don't know why I enjoyed this a fair bit the first time I watched it, but now watching it as an adult rather than a teenager, I'm less than impressed. Firstly it looks like it was shot on a handi-cam which is rather obnoxious and it gives it that made-for-tv feeling. Clint Howard is at least perfect as the demented ice cream man who seems to mangle folks by day and make them into iced cream. His character used to be in the looney bin, but when they released him he decided he had to make people happy and that's why he went into the business. It's nearly gross in parts and I like the idea of a murderous ice cream man, but the story is hardly fleshed out nor interesting in large portions of the plot. Still it works on many basic levels, but it does let down nearly as often as it fails. Fortunately for most this isn't the easiest film to find!

No comments:

Post a Comment