Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Legend Of Hell House (1973)

3 / 5
Tagline: For the sake of your sanity, pray it isn't true!
Directed by: John Hough
Written by: Richard Matheson
Actors Include: Roddy McDowall, Pamela Franklin, Clive Revill
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Length: 95 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: UK

Review:
I'd read so many good things about this one that I was actually really hyped up to watch it and well I expected to be scared. So that didn't even come close to happening as the house didn't seem all that ominous, not only that but the film was slow moving, dull and it never really paid off. Still I suppose when comparing it to the newest "The Haunting" remake this is heads and tails cooler but it's got a long way to go before it would be considered interesting, by me anyhow! It's a British film, the characters are pretty darned unappealing, except actually the two women characters are somewhat interesting. The story is that four psychics (and the wife of one) are being paid a large sum of money to spend the week in Hell house. Roddy McDowall's character had been the only survivor in an earlier incident where a bunch of psychics were killed. The stupid house breaks mirrors, rattles doors and windows and drops fixtures from the ceiling, nothing new and it's done in such a silly way that I don't understand how anyone could feel creepy about it. I realize that the characters really wanted money, but once the first body was found wouldn't it have made sense for them to leave...but no.... At least they bothered with a tiny body count, but the story left me feeling completely unfulfilled. It was like I kept on watching just in case it would pay off which I though it must considering the reputation it has but nope not even close. Very disappointing in every regard but at least they tried I guess? I sat through it without agony, that's another plus right?

No comments:

Post a Comment