Monday, May 11, 2009

Private Parts (1972) aka Blood Relations

3.5 / 5
Tagline: A Most Bizarre Voyage Into The Psycho Sexual!
Directed By: Paul Bartel
Written By: Philip Kearney, Les Rendelstein
Actors Include: Ayn Ruymen, Lucille Benson, John Ventantonio
Genre: Horror, Comedy
Length: 87 Minutes
Banned: nope
Country: USA

Review:
This is most certainly one of the more bizarre things I've found in my day. It's by the director of "Eating Raoul" which is what enticed me initially, but this one makes a heck of a lot less sense. Somehow the bizarre nature of the film makes up for many of it's shortcomings. This is one of those films I had to look up after to see if I really had figured out the ending (and for the most part I had culled it together). The story is about a young woman named Cheryl (pronounced Chair-yll half the time for some stupid reason) who moves out on her own with no money, but she finds her Aunt Martha's hotel (whom she doesn't really know) and starts living there and helping out. The other folks in the hotel are what is so strange, there is some guy who watches her (she seems to like it though) and keeps leaving her things in her room (I'd move...seriously). Her Aunt is messed up and obsessed with Funerals and treats Cheryl rather strangely and insists that she not leave her room at night. It's weird because nearly everyone in this film is a villain in some way and none of the motivations of the characters seem to make sense nor are they explained. The ending is also very loose and head shaking, but somehow satisfying I suppose. Definitely it's unlike anything else I've really seen so kudos there and the mood is certainly weird which also appeals so if you like weirdo dark comedies than you will want to try this. I'm definitely sure why this is so obscure after actually watching it though, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment