Monday, May 4, 2009

El Topo (1970) aka The Gopher aka The Mole

4 / 5
Tagline: See the naked young Franciscans whipped with cactus. See the bandit leader disemboweled. See the priest ride into the sunset with a midget and her newborn baby. What it all means isn't exactly clear, but you won't forget it.
Directed by: Alejandro Jodorowsky
Written by: Alejandro Jodorowsky
Actors include: Alejandro Jodorowsky, Brontis Jodorowsky, Jose Legarreta
Genre: Western, Fantasy, Horror
Length: 125 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: 125 minutes

Review:
How does one describe this seriously? It's Jodorowsky so it's a surrealist's dream or is that nightmare? It's definitely the strangest Western that I've ever seen (not that I've seen very many I suppose). The only time I've seen this was at a theatre showing with a bunch of frickin' MORONS in the audience. Seriously my most obnoxious viewing experience ever on the face of the earth (and yes that includes bad concerts too). They were yelling out jokes and "that guy looks like David Bowie" at the screen when in reality nobody looked like David Bowie. One fucking idiot even had a megaphone...I hope he's rotting in hell right now. Anyhow that being said it did take away from my enjoyment of this film. That being said it doesn't exactly make sense either (unless you want to debate about it with a group of people or something). We see many strange things, El Topo and his son (who is naked...which the awful audience was sure to repeatedly point out) ride around on a horse. They see all kinds of strange things like a massacre. Someone tells him who dunnit, so he goes out looking for the culprit I think. There is disturbing imagery, lots of questions left unanswered yet still it's rather beautiful and disgusting all at the same time. This is something I recommend going into simply to watch and not at a showing unless you are a masochist. Seriously, I've not gone to see a midnight film since!

No comments:

Post a Comment