Monday, May 4, 2009

Ghost House (1994) aka Gwishini Sanda

3.5 / 5
Tagline: N/A
Directed by: Sang-Jin Kim
Written by: Hang-jun Jang, Jae-yeong Jang
Actors include: Seung-won Cha, Seo-hee Jang, Hang-Seon Jang
Genre: Horror, Comedy
Length: 123 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: South Korea

Review:
This wasn't what I expected really, surely I could tell it was going to be about a haunted house of course, but it was funny in the style of "The Evil Dead" perhaps. I like that the house seems to be hell bent on making him look crazy and bothering him in ridiculous ways, in fact it is highly entertaining for about the first half of the film, it's close to fabulous. Parts may seem bizarre to me because I'm not entirely familiar with Asian culture, but I don't think the things shown here would make sense anywhere. The issue is that the ending and the resolve needs a bit more work, they had a great concept and it worked until it didn't really. It's a shame that by shortening the film it would be so much better, but so what it's still a great deal of fun most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment