Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Maniac (1980)

4.5 / 5
Tagline: Run From This Man!
Directed by: William Lustig
Written by: C.A. Rosenberg, Joe Spinell
Actors include: Joe Spinell, Caroline Munro, Abigail Clayton
Genre: Horror
Length: 87 minutes
Banned: Australia, UK, West Germany
Country: USA

Review:
Before I get into the nitty gritty of this story I'd like to offer you a small laugh (or at least I thought it was funny). So I've been trying to hear Don Armando's 2nd Ave. Rhumba Band's album but the thing is, it's not available most places. So I'm watching this movie and I note how horrendous the music is, particularly one of the most memorably terrible songs ever "Showdown". The music is so bad that I waited until the credits to see who was responsible....let's just say the answer was Don Armando's 2nd Ave. Rhumba Band. Okay now I'll go onto the story, it's really very simple. We have a demented pervo killer who runs around murdering women in a typical manner. There are some pretty gross moments where we see a bunch of mannequins representing the victims with bloodied scalp pieces tacked on and personal effects. If you want a straightforward mistreated abused animal of a human killing....then this couldn't be more your style. I thought it was pretty good but one particular shotgun killing is unforgettable and for that scene alone I'd suggest you watch this one. Finally a serial killer film without a real sense of humour (and I mean that in a good way I promise).

No comments:

Post a Comment