Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Ring (2002)

5 / 5
Tagline: In the well, no one can see...
Directed By: Gore Verbinski
Written By: Koji Suzuki, Ehren Kruger, Hiroshi Takahashi
Actors Include: Naomi Watts, Martin Henderson, David Dorfman
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
Length: 115 minutes
Banned: nope
Country: USA/Japan

Review:
I don't know what it is with this film, but it somehow scares the crap out of me. I've seen the original which is slightly different than the remake, but I honestly think this version makes more sense (even if the other version is a bit creepier). First of all the cinematography is fabulous, I love how everything is sort of based around shades of grey and blue, it gives a really chilling feel to the film. Secondly the story it a really interesting one, and in fact it's the first J-horror film (the original is) that I really watched. Basically as you likely already know there is a videotape and if you watch it, you die in seven days. A Woman (Rachel) winds up watching this thing while investigating the death of her niece, and then ends up having to try to save her own life and the life of her small boy. Firstly the videotape is creepy and weird and if I think about it, it still kind of bothers me (I'm a wimp if you will). Also having the characters know when they are scheduled to die adds sort of a thrill and also makes things intense as they try to stop the process. There's more to it but I don't want to give away too much, really the curse has a creepy ghost girl who comes out of a well and for whatever reason it freaks me out. I don't like the way it walks like it's broken some bones or something and well after watching I was weirded out. I doubt it affected everyone the way it affected me but I can say it's one of the best and most effective horror films that I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment