Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Santa Sangre (1989) aka Holy Blood

5 / 5
Tagline: Forget Everything You Have Ever Seen
Directed By: Alejandro Jodorowsky
Written By: Alejandro Jodorowsky, Roberto Leoni, Claudio Argento
Actors Include: Axel Jodorowsky, Blanca Guerra, Guy Stockwell
Genre: Horror, Drama, Thriller
Length: 123 minutes
Banned: nope
Country: Mexico/Italy

Review:
I really really adore this film, definitely one of the strangest yet most compelling films I've come across. Cinematically this can hardly be topped, there is always something grandioso and surreal going on and I have no idea where they must have come up for the budget. They've even staged an elephant's funeral dumping the bloodied corpse off of a cliff, then watching hungry folks devour it! Things you thought you'd never see are guaranteed to be in this film, and it really has great momentum. Although at times I found it hard to believe my eyes at times it is definitely one of the most interesting films I've ever seen. Well the story is actually about a young circus boy who's Father was caught cheating by his Mom...so she throws acid on his penis. Well to retaliate he cuts off her arms. During this part we see a weird tattooed Woman doing some strange sexualized things, some bizarre circus folks and we meet the boy's friends which include a mute tightrope walker, and a midget. Anyhow fast forward to later when Jr. is in a looney bin acting like a bird when he "discovers" his mother. I don't want to ruin anything but you won't believe all the stuff that is crammed in this film from taking Downs children to snort cocaine to oh I simply can't ruin more. It's a visually absurd feast, but one that needs to be seen. I must say when I read the synapses for this film before actually watching I was skeptical that it could be as good as it sounded. Well it was honestly better than I could have imagined. All I can say is do whatever you can to get your hands on this film, it satisfies in every possible way.

No comments:

Post a Comment