Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stigmata (1999)

3 / 5
Tagline: The messenger must be silenced.
Directed by: Rupert Wainwright
Written by: Tom Lazarus
Actors include: Patricia Arquette, Gabriel Bryne, Jonathan Pryce
Genre: Thriller
Length: 103 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: USA

Review:
What do you get when you mix a young Woman who isn't religious with a mysterious religious affliction known as Stigmata? Well if you can't put together the result then you may want to watch this, and for those who could, I assure you it's exactly as you might imagine. There hasn't been many thriller style films (that I've come across anyhow) with this subject matter and actually I did think it had a bit of potential, but they managed to make it seem dragged out and colorless. I guess the point of this one is that religion is evil...or something close, I didn't honestly care enough to bother with much in the way of pondering. The acting is alright and everything, but there aren't any scares or tension and very few bad things actually happen. This is definitely more a case of "can you imagine" sorta stuff but since I don't really believe in that hocus pocus it was far from affecting me or putting thoughts in my head. I guess considering it is an alright movie and providing you aren't expecting much out of it then you may want to rent it or something. Still I felt a little disappointed, but I guess you can't win them all right?

No comments:

Post a Comment