Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Suspiria (1977)

4.5 / 5

Tagline: The only thing more terrifying than the last 12 minutes of this film are the first 92.
Directed by: Dario Argento
Written by: Dario Argento
Actors include: Jessica Harper, Stefania Casini, Flavio Bucci
Genre: Thriller, Horror
Length: 98 minutes
Banned: Norway
Country: Italy

Review:
I'm going to come right out and say that this isn't as good as the hype although it's definitely still one to watch. I've seen it three times now and I'm still not sure why it's generally touted as one of the best horror films ever. Dont get me wrong though for I do think it's suspenseful in places...thanks to the excellent soundtrack from Goblin. It's easy enough to sit through and it does have some unexpected moments as well, it's just a little long winded. The story is about a young girl who has arrived at ballet school, but strange things keep happening. Soon she starts investigating and finds out that her school isn't being run by who she thinks. I again shan't say more but there is the odd "Jump" scene and there are some good bloody deaths so most should be satisfied with this, I just don't think it's brilliant, just quite good.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment