Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Summer Of Sam (1999)

2.5 / 5

Tagline: The summer of '77 was a killer....
Directed by: Spike Lee
Written by: Victor Colicchio, Michael Imperioli
Actors include: John Leguizamo, Adrien Brody, Mira Sorvino
Genre: Horror, Crime, Thriller
Length: 142 minutes
Banned: Malaysia
Country: USA

Review:
I actually saw this in the theatre and it annoyed me to no end despite the fact that I'm fascinated with serial killers (Son Of Sam included). Spike Lee's take on the situation was more about the effects in the neighborhood and (surprise) racism which I think has very little bearing on the story. He barely even touches the killer in the title actually, it's mainly "slice of life". That will appeal to some but if you are in this for the horror angle, this is a complete failure! The characters in the movie were pretty darned unlikeable and well I kinda wanted them all to be killed but it didn't happen. I'm not quite sure why so many love this one because I think it's probably the worst representation of a killer that i've seen to date.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment