Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Tale Of Two Sisters (2003) aka Janghwa, Hongryeon

4.5 / 5

Tagline: Our sorrow was conceived long before our birth
Directed By: Ji-woon Kim
Written By: Ji-woon Kim
Actors Include: Kap-su Kim, Jung-ah Yum, Geun-yeong Mun
Genre: Horror, Drama, Mystery
Length: 115 minutes
Banned: nope
Country: South Korea

Review:
Holy crap is this one magnificent, the cinematography (which is something I rarely notice) is stunning, every shot is amazing. The colors, the set everything is perfect and wonderful yet eerie, it couldn't have been executed better. The actors do a great job, and the film is genuinely creepy. The first time I watched it I was alone and was really freaked out, when watching with someone else it only has a few scares but it's really well done. The fact that the plot is confusing is the worst part of the film really. Right after I watched the film I had to check the IMDB to see what really happened. My copy is in Korean with English subtitles, and perhaps the translation isn't always the best, but the similar names for the characters added to the confusion unfortunately. The way it's set up two sisters are in an asylum, but come home to their Father and Stepmother (who is by the way a shady character). I don't really want to ruin anything nor explain anything since it's almost better to go into this blind, but I will say that it's more than definitely worth your time. It's sort of an atmospheric creepy as heck ghost story with several "jump" sequences. It's not bloody, but Asian horror seems to be entirely one way or the other, this one is all about style, story and the unexpected. Even though it's not going to make any sense for a long time, don't give up on it, this is magnificent! Whenever people ask me about which Asian horror to go for, without hesitation I point out this one as do many others, and that's because there isn't anything like this one.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment