Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tetsuo (1989) aka Tetsuo, The Iron Man aka The Ironman

4 / 5

Tagline: N/A
Directed By: Shinya Tsukamoto
Written By: Shinya Tsukamoto
Actors Include: Tomorowo Taguchi, Kei Fujiwara, Nobu Kanaoka
Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Length: 67 minutes
Banned: Singapore
Country: Japan

Review:
Well, I haven't seen "Eraserhead" yet, but I imagine it's similar to this. The style is gritty, jerky (stop motion) disturbing nightmarish imagery that doesn't make a ton of sense. I started out trying to piece it together, but after a while I realized it was far better to sit back and be haunted by the demented things I was being shown. Admittedly I was curious to see how this could be horrific considering it's very much an art film, but it simply is. The story is (I think) about a nerdly clerk guy who starts turning into a machine man. We see him put a piece of metal in his leg (I think), then we see him haunted by some demonic woman thing with a hose penis who rapes him. Thing is he later gets a drill penis to attack things with (seriously). There is something also to do with a car crash, that much I am sure of. I'm not too sure honestly what actually happened, but it's so stark and the imagery is some of the creepiest stuff I've seen so major props to the style and the method of filming this. The soundtrack is some sort of minimalist industrial stuff and actually this works best as some sort of extended (it's only a bit more than an hour long) music video. Recommended if you like weird, but make sure you just relax and enjoy the ride rather than making yourself nuts. Some of the creepiest stuff there is to see can be found during this movie.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment