Monday, May 11, 2009

Orphanage (2007) aka El Orfanato

2.5 / 5
Tagline: A Tale of Love. A Story of Horror.
Directed By: Juan Antonio Bayona
Written By: Sergio G. Sanchez
Actors Include: Belen Rueda, Fernando Cayo, Roger Princep
Genre: Thriller, Horror, Drama
Length: 105 minutes
Banned: nope
Country: Mexico/Spain

Review:
From the director of "Pan's Labyrinth" (which I haven't seen) comes this tale which many find terrifying. I do not. I was hugely disappointed. This guy is most definitely similar to M. Night Shamalyan in style...only not as good (I'm not even kidding...and I really don't like Shamalyan). There were some good things about this film though, the atmosphere was rather nice, and it was shot well...but that's about where my niceties end. The actual story involves a Woman who grew up in an orphanage, but was adopted into a family. She ends up going back to the same orphanage to take it over and improve it. She has an adopted (I think) child who has H.I.V. who also lives with her in the orphanage while she waits to get things ready for more children. Well from there we have ghost hauntings, and disturbances...mainly with the adopted boy who has these "imaginary" friends. Even though I actually hated this movie and it pissed me off severely, I won't give away the "surprise" (yeah right) ending, but rest assured nothing exciting happens. It's not bloody or gory (the only thing that really happens is a woman gets hit by a bus), and the story is one long build up to a terribly stupid ending...with no pay off. Shockingly this has an extremely high rating on the IMDB and I think it may even be in the top 100 horror films...so many do love this. I just know that I thought it was dreadful and obnoxious...but heck if you are a big fan of Shamalyan this will likely tickle you.

No comments:

Post a Comment