Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Sentinel (1977)

4 / 5
Tagline: She was young. She was beautiful. She was next!
Directed By: Michael Winner
Written By: Jeffrey Konvitz, Michael Winner
Actors Include: Chris Sarandon, Christina Raines, Ava Gardner
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Length: 92 minutes
Banned: Finland
Country: USA

Review:
Well the version of this I got has some of the worst box art ever but my Dad recommended that I watch this many years ago so I decided it was time. I'm really glad I did take his advice because this has some classic moments you won't find elsewhere. Example, Ava Gardner rubbing one out for absolutely no reason. Anyhow now that we've got that out of the way, the story is about an apartment building which has some funny tenants. No, they aren't comedians, just really strange people who seem to be involved in cult-like activity or something (I don't want to ruin the film). It's got some lame effects but most of the film is actually engaging, strange and the story is what makes this film impressive. If you liked "Rosemary's Baby" (and no this isn't a carbon copy, she isn't even pregnant) then this is kind of along those lines, but not quite as good. Still a classic film with some creepy fun moments that should please most fans of '70s horror plus it has a good ending, what more do you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment