Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte (1964) aka What Ever Happened To Cousin Charlotte?

2.5 / 5
Tagline: Don't Tell Anyone What Happened In The Summer House!
Directed by: Robert Aldrich
Written by: Henry Farrell, Lukas Heller
Actors include: Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland, Joseph Cotten
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Length: 134 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: USA

Review:
I don't get it, I've looked forward to watching this ever since I gazed upon "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane" (which is one of my favorite films) and I really disliked this. Bette Davis is in this and everything, and this time her counterpart is Olivia De Havilland whom I also typically quite like. Anyhow in this one Bette plays someone who is having flashbacks and isn't quite right (playing kind of demented really) which is the best part of the film. Olivia's character plays her cousin who is possibly responsible for driving Bette mad...or is she? Anyhow the story isn't that interesting and by the time they get to the resolve it's way too late and I was bored to tears. Watching Bette play grotesque earned it the stars it received, but this is one of those "classics" which I found to be dull and humorless. It came up way short from what I had hoped and really it does have nothing to do with the Jane film (not that it had to in order to be good) but it didn't impress in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment